Monday, January 28, 2013

Chorizo Quinoa Con Huevos

“It may be hard for an egg to turn into a bird it would be a jolly sight harder for it to learn to fly while remaining an egg. We are like eggs at present. And you cannot go on indefinitely being just an ordinary, decent egg. We must be hatched or go bad.” 
C.S. Lewis

still possess no capacity to upload pics *sigh*


Chorizo Quinoa Con Huevos


1 cup quinoa
2-3 tablespoons olive oil 
3/4 lb (12 oz) ground chorizo 
1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
1/4 tsp black pepper
1 cup frozen bell pepper,  diced
    (you can use fresh)
1 large yellow onion, diced
1 cup grated carrot 
3 cloves of garlic minced
2 - 2 1/2 cups vegetable or chicken broth
    (less if quinoa is soaked)
1 bag frozen peas (petite)
1 pound tomatoes, diced
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 bunch fresh cilantro, chopped
2 tablespoons olive oil
6 eggs (1 egg per person)


Less Pans More Time (which is how I cooked it):

Rinse the quinoa thoroughly and leave to drain (or soak).
Heat a large skillet or pan on medium high flame. Add oil and brown the chorizo. Transfer the chorizo to a bowl and set aside.
Stir the cumin and black pepper into the pan drippings (add more oil first if needed).  Stir in the bell pepper, onion, carrot, garlic, and salt. Saute until the onions become translucent.
Stir in the quinoa. Add the broth and bring to a boil. Reduce the flame to low and cover. Cook until the quinoa is done and has absorbed the liquid, about 15 minutes.
Add the diced tomatoes and peas. Stir in the cilantro. Return the chorizo to the pan. Reduce the flame to low.
Heat a(nother) skillet over medium flame. Add oil and break in the eggs (try to not break yolks!). Cook eggs until the yolks are white but the yolks are still runny (covering may help).
Spoon some of the quinoa onto a plate. Top with fried egg and serve.


Less Time More Pans (which is how I considered cooking it):

Rinse the quinoa thoroughly. Stir the quinoa and broth in a pot and bring to a boil. Reduce the flame to low and cover. Cook until the quinoa is done and has absorbed the liquid, about 15 minutes.
Meanwhile heat a skillet on medium high flame. Add oil and thoroughly brown the chorizo. Transfer the chorizo to a bowl and set aside. You may want to clean this skillet up for cooking the eggs at the end.
Meanwhile heat a large skillet or pan on medium high flame. Add oil and stir in the cumin and black pepper.  Stir in the bell pepper, onion, carrot, garlic, and salt. Saute until the onions become translucent. Add the diced tomatoes and peas, cook until they are warm. Stir in the chorizo, quinoa, and cilantro. Reduce the flame to low. 

Heat a(nother) skillet over medium flame. Add oil and break in the eggs (try to not break yolks!). Cook eggs until the yolks are white but the yolks are still runny (covering may help).
Dish out and top each serving with a fried egg. Enjoy!


Our corner market has always been there, but it now has entirely new owners who are doing an entirely new thing with it. I took my grandbaby for a walk today and stopped in with her to see what I might find for dinner inspiration. They've got a wonderful butcher counter, make fantastic filler-free sausage, and offer some good sales. I decided on the chorizo since I've only cooked it once or twice before (don't ask me how or why that makes sense) and it's on sale (which makes obvious sense). Once I had the chorizo in my possession I knew I wanted to make it with quinoa, so I went on Pinterest and searched "chorizo quinoa", where an egg topped recipe caught my eye. Of course well enough is something I never can leave alone, and besides, the grandchildren and I can't handle jalapeno plus I wanted to get our veg in too, so I looked up cues from other similar (albeit sadly eggless) recipes and tweaked it a bit. Hubby and the grandchildren all said they loved it and were telling me what to serve with it next time I make it, so I guess this recipe is a keeper.

No comments:

Post a Comment